Friday, March 19, 2010

92% of Jesus’ conversations


Darrell Davis points out how many conversations that Jesus had.

"Out of 132 contacts that Jesus had with people recorded in the New Testament, 6 were in the temple, 4 were in the synagogue, and 122 were out in the mainstream of life."


As evangelists, we need to make sure that we are regularly engaging people outside of the church.

Most of us freely admit that after being a Christian for a few years, we find our social circles have changed to mostly Christians.

In fact, Jeffrey Johnson Got Style?: Personality-Based Evangelism shows research that confirms that most do so within two years of becoming a Christian. He cites a 1998 study by Charles Arn that shows that most Christians may only have on average, friendships with less than 4 people outside the church.

What can we do to fix that this week?



Found this post at my new favorite blog: Evangelism Coach International

4 comments:

  1. SO TRUE! I would say even moreso for folks like me who work in ministry as well. I'm with "church folks" 24/7. I guess that means that my challenge is to be more intentional in making contacts with people at the gas station, grocery store, restaurants, etc...

    Thanks for sharing this, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An AMAZING post my friend. I just Twittered about it...hope a BUNCH of people read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting observation. If I may however; I would offer a "flip-side" to consider.
    If we consider the apparent and almost viral lack of spiritual discernment, along with Scriptural ignorance within the supposed body of Christ... do you suppose it is being presumptuous to wonder if "most" Christians are even spiritually mature enough to engage in those outside the church in a like manner as Christ?

    The point? I "get" the example of Christ engaging the lost, more than hanging with the "righteous". Christ was/is however fully equipped to do so. My cautious opinion would be to make sure that it's also understood that those engagements served as opportunities of discipleship as well, that is... Jesus (Master) mentoring the disciples (servant/pupil).

    As I said earlier, just another "side of the coin" to consider.

    Grace and peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete