Saturday, November 7, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner 4 the Homeless at FUMC



On Thanksgiving Day at noon we will open the doors of First United Methodist Church and serve the homeless a complete Thanksgiving dinner. We will be serving 30 to 40 men and women who otherwise would not have a Thanksgiving dinner on this special day. How can you help? What do we need? What are the details? See the information below.

We will be serving dinner at noon on Thanksgiving day.

We need large vans and van drivers. The vans will leave FUMC at 11:15 am and pick up our homeless guests at approx 11:30 am near the corner of Ridgewood and Bay Street in Daytona Beach, FL. After Thanksgiving dinner, at approx. 1:30 pm, we will drive our guests back to downtown Daytona Beach, FL.

We need paper plates, forks, knives and napkins. Plastic cups. Foam cups for hot drinks.

We need loving men, women and children to serve the meal to our guests. Servers should arrive at 11:15 am for instructions and last minute set up.

We need any and all food donations. What kind of food do we need? Turkeys, ham, potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, dressing, rolls and all of the other things you and I typically enjoy during Thanksgiving dinner. Whipped Cream and Pumpkin pie. Pecan pie and other sweets and treats. We also need drink donations. Lemonade. Coffee. Ice Tea.

Musicians. Can you play the guitar? The bongos? The piano? Get my drift? We would love to have music during dinner.

People willing to clean up during and after dinner. Clean up is not a glamorous job and has the least bit of glory but it is very important.

Need the church address? It's 305 Dunlawton Ave, Port Orange, FL 32127

Need the church website? Click here.

Why do we serve Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless? Last year Ron came for Thanksgiving dinner. He felt uncomfortable with the clothes he was wearing. Someone from our church gave him a clean shirt and a tie to wear for dinner. Look at the smile on Ron's face in the photo below. That's just one of the reasons that we serve Thanksgiving dinner for the homeless. You, your family and friends are invited to join us.



For more information give me a call on my cell phone (386)295-7739.

4 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. My birth family began a tradition after we grew up of inviting to dinner anyone we knew who didn't have a family to spend the day with. Whether or not they were Christian, everyone (all ages) was invited to share at prayer time what they were thankful for. For the last 20 yrs I've been 1300 miles away from them and no longer share this treasured time.

    So I found a new family to spend the day with. My house will celebrate on Friday, because on Thursday I'll be with my sisters in Christ who are presently incarcerated at the local jail. Our church cooks turkey dinner for the whole facility. My privilege is to address the women who are separated from their families, remind them that in Christ they have another family, and invite those not yet part of the family to join the rest of us.

    And in the brief minutes that I speak to prisoners, officers, and church members, I'll be thanking the Lord in my heart for His blood, being adopted into His family, and being among family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I make it a point to wear orange on that day, to match the jumpsuits the inmates wear. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. we can't wait to get there, Mike...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordan Shoes For Sale Online, Mr Barr urged the federal government to come to a quick decision on a city deal, and said the ACT had a "better than normal chance of a securing a good outcome" given the Commonwealth would also make money from land sales. "They have a sharp eye clearly to the financial to the return to their own budget, so this is where is see a significant opportunity for them in a Canberra city deal," he said. "Because they own a lot of land.

    Coach Outlet Online Store, including Daytona 500 Qualifying, the Duel at Daytona, and NASCAR Cup, XFINITY Series and NGROTS Practice Ray Ban Outlet and Qualifying sessions.

    Periyazhvar sang pallandu for Lord Narayana. These verses were to ward off evil eyes! Periyazhvar's concern for the Lord was that of a parent, and so, naturally, he was anxious about the safety of the Lord. Venkatakrishnan in a discourse. Today I love that the weekend MK Bags Sale is almost upon us and we are feeling somewhat better. I love that we are well enough to return to regular tasks, though I still feeling like I should be on somewhat light duty even though I not sure how I going to restrain myself. I love that we took two days off and the world did not and I love that there is a weekend on the other side of this day, so we can continue to regain our health in the comfort of the Where To Buy Yeezys Online cottage after the Saturday Market run..

    Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale, Are you crazy!? It TMs a very, very rare thing to hear from a black atheist/agnostic. I TMm a religious person, but I TMm also an intelligent person. Cheap Yeezys For Sale I have no problem combining the two aspects of my personality. I remember being surprised by the judge at the ceremony asking me whether I would defend my country in uniform if called upon. I wasn't expecting that question, though my friends and I had been wondering about a possible draft, and I took my time to truly consider it. I answered yes and I jordan new release 2020 meant it..

    Ray ban Sunglasses Outlet, In 2019, he was picked for his current position, replacing Peter Urbanowicz, who had decades of experience of healthcare leadership, according to.Asked about his relevant work experience, Harrison wrote in a statement to : "Americans would be well served by having more government officials who have started and worked in small family businesses and fewer trying to use that experience to attack them Cheap Jordan Shoes For Sale and distort the record."One decision on the task force that has been attributed to Harrison is the initial exclusion of Stephen Hahn, commissioner of the FDA.Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH and a leading spokesperson for the task force, explained that it wouldn't necessarily have made sense to include the FDA in the early days of the response.

    ReplyDelete