Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Rear View Mirror


As I wake up this morning and drink my coffee I say to myself, "It's raining cats and dogs. Jake and his girlfriend Linda must be wet. He showed me the hole in his tent on Sunday."


As I write this blog post I think of Norm. After the last big storm he called me to ask if he could use my washer and dryer because everything he owned was drenched.


As I think about what I'll eat for breakfast I remember seeing my homeless friend Oliver in the rear view mirror. As I was getting ready to eat my burrito, he was digging in a dumpster behind a restaurant. I said to myself, "Mike how can you eat this burrito when you see your friend digging out of a dumpster." I gave Oliver my burrito. He needed it more than me.

It gets complicated when God shows you the poor and the broken in your rear view mirror. You can't wake up, drink your coffee or eat your lunch without thinking of them or seeing them.

Thinking of the poor and the broken should only be the first step. It can be inconvenient when God compels you to turn your thoughts into action.

As the storm gets worse and I hear the rain come down in buckets, I know that I'll need to make sure that Jake, Norm and Oliver are okay.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for having the pen heart to do this. It's great to see a man's heart change and grow this way.

    Thank Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True words, Mike. My other friend, Von, who prayed for me posted this story today:

    http://drawsigner.com/2011/03/31/this-is-my-normal/

    This stuff really grounds me.

    Thx for sharing this story. One day, I'd like to meet your friends so if I'm out and see them...I could offer them a helping hand if they need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any good you see is the God in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bless me and challenge me, Mike. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete