Thursday, June 9, 2011

Halfway To A Hamburger



I went to Wendy's with the idea that I was going to fill my belly with food. I ordered at the drive through, picked up my food and pulled into a parking spot to eat my lunch. I hadn't taken my first bite when I saw a man with a sign that said "homeless" on it. He was standing in front of Wendy's hoping that someone would give him money. I sat and watched for about 20 minutes. About 3 cars stopped and gave him money. He folded up his sign, packed up his stuff and shoved the cash in his pocket. This is when I slipped into my judgement mode and began saying to myself, "He's going to take that cash given to him by these kind folks and buy beer at the liquor store across the parking lot." He didn't. He walked into Wendy's. I decided to follow him inside.

He walked in, stood in line and began counting the few dollars he had been given. He was going to buy himself something to eat. I stepped up to him and said, "Sir, I saw you outside. What is your name?" He told me his name was William. It didn't take me long to see that he was mentally challenged and extremely hungry. I told him that I would buy his lunch. He put the money back in his pocket. I bought William two cheeseburgers. He thanked me and quickly started eating his meal.

As I was leaving the parking lot I literally walked into another man who said, "I'm halfway to a hamburger. Can you help me?" I said, "Yes, walk with me and I'll buy you lunch." We walked inside, I bought him some food and put it down at the table. He was shaking as he looked at me and said with tears in his eyes,"Thank you. My name is Steve. I can't tell you how hungry I was. I saw you buying that other guy some food. That's why I asked if you could help me. I'm sure glad that I did. God bless you today. God bless you."

The two meals cost me less than five dollars. These two hungry, broken and homeless men gave me so much more.

3 comments:

  1. These are the kind of people I'm yearning for. They aren't looking for a handout but just need someone to give them a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, Mike. I used to do the same thing (at Wendys!) for the "girls" who were addicted & had no where to turn & no way out.
    My question is, and I often wonder...who helped who more? Helping those girls helped me. I hope they remembered one small act of kindness & KNOW they were worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really mouth watering..even my eyes are struck to this site. i have bookmarked it so that i can learn hamburger recipe from here whenever i get time.

    ReplyDelete