Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don't Hide Your Story

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” -- Nelson Mandela

I've done my share of moping and feeling sorry for myself the past several weeks. I'm pretty sure that I'm officially ready to move forward, dust myself off and stop doing stupid stuff. My friend Fatha Frank posted stories about men who lost everything and didn't give up. The post lead me to do some YouTube video research about the song "It Is Well With My Soul".

At the beginning of the video below you'll see a quote from Helen Keller:

"The world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming it."

Helen Keller was deaf and blind. She didn't give up. The man behind the song "It Is Well With My Soul" didn't give up after losing his fortune and his family. I am going through the process of divorce. It inspires me when I hear about others who have gone through hell and never gave up. One of my co-workers is going through marriage separation after he found out his wife was having an affair. I've been silent about my divorce at work. That changed yesterday when I took my suffering co-worker aside and told him about what I am going through. His mood lifted. His eyes brightened. His burden was lightened. He appreciated knowing that he wasn't the only one going through marriage struggles.

Don't hide your story. Your dirty, messy, ugly story will inspire others. It will also help others to feel like they aren't alone.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to know none of us are perfect and we all have challenges and issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find with the video! I had to rely on wikipedia to refresh my memory.

    Glad I was able to encourage and inspire you. Grateful, too, to be called "friend" as virtual as that is. Keep hangin' in there and let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you... I agree, our dirty messed up stories can inspire. I'm tempting myself to letting a little part of me be known, but its hard. I admire your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm never going to be able to help someone else by saying, "I'm better than you."

    it's only in vulnerability--in exposing my own brokenness--that I can be any good to you or anyone else whatsoever.

    Thank you for this ongoing reminder.

    ReplyDelete