Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Friends No Matter What?


Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of trouble. -- Proverbs 17:17 (The Message)


Today I saw this tweet below from Shawn Wallace (@shawnw)

"True friends really don't even have to like each other. But they do have to be there for each other. No. Matter. What."



Earlier this week I ran into a series of posts from Pastor Chris Elrod. Long story short, Chris courageously stood by his friend and fellow pastor Gary Lamb even though Lamb had an affair.

Over the years and within the past few months, I've been through some crap and have made major mistakes. I praise God for all of this because I've been able to see first-hand what happens to friendships.

Friends that you thought were friends aren't your friends anymore. Heck, they might even block or un-friend you on facebook.

Even though most people know about your crap and stupid mistakes, you make new friends anyway.

You find out who your friends really are. Even though they know about your
crap and stupid mistakes these wonderfully loyal, loving, grace-filled people still want to be your friend.

So let me re-post Shawn's tweet:

"True friends really don't even have to like each other. But they do have to be there for each other. No. Matter. What."


What do you think? Agree with Shawn? Think Chris Elrod should have kicked his cheating friend to the curb?

Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of trouble.
-- Proverbs 17:17 (The Message)


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad we don't have to like each other to be friends :-) Glad you are my friend, Mike. You have been there for me through some tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends are the family we choose. They challenge us, love us, forgive us and sometimes struggle to save us from ourselves. I wouldn't forsake a friend because of their poor decisions, we all make mistakes and often it's a true friend that helps us back up from falling flat on our face traveling that learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I THOUGHT that was Russell Holloway! You guys know each other in real life?

    That's cool!

    And I agree with Shaun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends don't stop being friends, even when the seasons of life may change the nature of the friendship, and circumstances may affect how often we connect.

    Thanks for being my friend, Mike.

    ReplyDelete