Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Small Things

One small scarf, created by the hands of people with huge hearts, can make a difference.


"It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

To make a difference some of us believe that we must do bigger than life, extremely complicated, gigantic, Steven Spielberg like productions. Once upon a time, I believed that it was my job to help and fix everyone. It didn't work and it wasn't necessary to make a difference.

"We can not do great things. We can only do little things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Traveling to another country for a mission trip is not necessary to make a difference.

Feeding hundreds is not necessary to make a difference.

Putting on a major festival or event is not necessary to make a difference.

In my opinion, keeping our brains stuck on big things may keep us from doing anything at all.

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."
- Helen Keller

A simple, hand written note or card from a friend can move a mountain of discouragement. This hand written card from John Dobbs came at just the right time in my life.


My friend Jenn Cates takes the time to check in with me via email almost everyday. Simple, short and to the point but with each email she sends I realize I have a friend that cares about me.


Two cheeseburgers in a sack don't seem like much but they make a huge difference to hungry, homeless men battling another day of of living on the street.


My daughter just moved to another state. Kiersten does a great job of sending photos of my grandson Troy.


You may take a photo today and not understand that it will make a difference in the life of someone many months or years down the road. This photo was taken by my friend Sarah. It's a photo of my son Devon. I like to look at this photo when I miss my son. Each time I see this photo it reminds me of the beautiful heart my son has for serving the less fortunate.


Do you have two arms? Hug someone. The photo below is from one of the most popular posts on this blog.


Do you have a mouth? Encourage someone. Last night I whispered, "I love you and I believe in you" in the ear of two friends who are going through a rough time.


You don't need to "go fishing" to make a difference in the life of someone you care about. My girlfriend Kristina knows that I like Swedish fish. Yesterday she bought me a bag of my favorite candy.


At the top of this post you'll see a photo of a homeless man with a scarf. My friend Elaine and her husband Jim create these scarves by hand for homeless men and women.

"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

You don't need much to make a difference. In this age of fast and furious, it's still the simple, small things that mean so much.

2 comments: